Drug Rehab in Memphis
Drug Rehab in Memphis TN (901) 620-0983
Abuse is usually characterized by the drug use causing problems in a person's life, such as interfering with their work or relationships. This state of drug use precedes a full-blown physical dependency and addiction, where the drug user needs regular doses of the drug to function. Drug rehab in Memphis sees to it that individuals strongly dependent on drugs "kick" the habit and learn how to live without them.
If you're considering addiction treatment, call drug detox treatment centers in Memphis. Call (901) 620-0983 for more information.
Most Commonly Abused Drugs
- Marijuana - The most commonly abused drug in the country. While it has been legalized for both recreational and medical use in a number of states, it is still illegal at the federal level and is still counted as the most frequently abused of the illicit drugs.
- Prescription painkillers - This specifically refers to the opioid painkillers derived from the opium poppy, such as OxyContin, morphine and codeine. This category of abuse has skyrocketed over the past decade or so thanks to a major spike in pain pill prescriptions.
- Prescription sedatives - These include barbiturates and benzodiazepines, which can become addictive with frequent enough use.
- Cocaine - This party drug has long been seen as the substance of choice for rich people, but it is likely this high on the list as crack cocaine use is rolled in with it.
- Other frequently abused drugs include prescription stimulants such as Adderall, hallucinogens, heroin and meth.
Addictive drugs can be roughly divided into two categories -- stimulants and depressants, or "uppers" and "downers." Cocaine, crack and meth are stimulants, giving the user an intense feeling of energy and sociability followed by a crash. The opioid drugs are depressants along with sedatives and marijuana.
Hallucinogens exist in an odd category of their own. They are largely not considered to cause a physical dependency, with the possible exception of some of the newer designer street drugs like bath salts. But they can still be abused and a psychological dependency can develop.
Find ways to treat your addiction by calling Memphis addiction rehab centers. You can also visit your local narcotics Anonymous (http://www.usrecovery.info/NA/Tennessee.htm) for more support.